Your mate has just announced he’s getting married, and has asked you to be the Best Man. There are plenty of places online that will give you an outline of the Best Mans job and responsibilities leading up to and during the wedding day. After my experience of being a Best man over the weekend, I wanted to share my list of ten (mostly practical) tips to help you / your best man not just survive the wedding day, but hopefully help the groom as well.
1. Your biggest role as Best Man is to keep the groom sane. Does he need something? Try your best to make it happen. You are his right hand man. Does his wife to be need something? Helping her out will help your mate out.
2. Have a man bag for the day. Ensure it includes pain killers, water, a pen, and some food to nibble on. Possibly include a Mars Bar for when the energy starts to ebb later at night.
3. Be ready for the line up. If, like me, you’re an introvert you might find it a bit tiring introducing yourself to (what feels like) hundreds of people. Think about what you’re going to say before hand, as having the same conversation again and again gets wearing.
4. Yes you may well be nervous about the speech. No, no one will care if you have a drink to calm the nerves. Yes people might care if they have to listen to a pissed up Best Man giving the speech.
5. Be yourself in the speech . If you’re not really THAT funny, don’t try and be THAT funny.
6. Make sure you compliment the Bride in your speech. Just avoid coming onto her…
7. Again, about the speech. What is the bride and groom like? What is your audience like? Whilst the tale about your normally sober mate, getting totally drunk and running naked down the street, maybe funny, the old gran in the corner may not need to hear it.
8. It’s going to be a long day, look after yourself. Particularly in the evening, try and catch some time to yourself, have a beer, chill, enjoy.
9. After the speeches, buy the groom his favorite drink.
10. Ensure you have a day or two to recover after the event. Even if it’s just from the hangover.
This list is based on my experience of being a best man, on what I did, what I wished I did, or based on advice I’ve been given. Do you have any tips you could add?